Thursday, March 29, 2007

Thing Seven

Yesss, it's freeform writing day.

I've been playing around with Wikipedia quite a bit. My feelings are mixed, like yours may be as well. On the one hand, I consult Wikipedia all the time when I want a description or history of something or someone, or when I want more than just a dictionary definition, or when I want to see how something fits into a big picture. On the other hand, when I was fact-checking children's nonfiction, I couldn't rely on Wikipedia as a definitive source. I still used it, but checked their sources, when they were given, so I could cite a, you know, real source.

I've played around only a little bit with editing in Wikipedia. I fiddled with a couple of pages about various libraries. I didn't really have the patience or focus to stick with one article and argue with other posters about the finer points of it.

To fulfill my comment requirement, I insulted Angie on her blog.

No comments: